Saturday, March 5, 2011

In Memory of Charlie (who found his angel)...


I am so sad to report
that I received the following letter from Charlie's Mom,
(who was surely his Angel)...Mel, thank you for everything you did for Charlie.


Eulogy to Charlie

Charlie died Friday, February 4, 2011. He had nodules on his spleen, one had ruptured and he was bleeding internally. Malignancy was probable. Surgery was expensive...but more importantly, would involve a painful recovery time with a poor prognosis for lengthening his life. After much thought we sadly decided to send him to the bridge.

Was I Charlie's Angel? The first time I saw him I was surprised and, I'll admit, a bit disappointed. He was small, thin, narow-hipped and limped. If given a choice, I probably would not have chosen him, but I had no choice. Charlie came into my life as though he belonged there. From the moment he saw me I was his. When he was brought to my house he was instantly "home". He stood in the doorway and watched his "foster mom" leave, but showed no interest in wanting to go with her. And from that moment until his death, he knew nothing but love and kindness. He'd been neglected and apparently received some abuse...his last four and a half months were probably among the best of his life.

In just a short time he felt safe, secure, loved, and wanted. He had come to expect two meals a day, and a constant supply of fresh water. He soon had HIS place in the bedroom, complete with his own bed, and he made it quite clear that this spot belonged to HIM. He also had a purpose in life, to guard his domain and protect his human.

His physical appearance also changed. He weighed 92 pounds (he previously weighed 66 pounds), and was getting stronger, the limp in his hind leg having greatly improved. He could get in the car with a minimum amount of help (he previously had to be lifted), he'd stopped whining and chewing himself. He was getting the best care the doctors and I could give him. Why couldn't it have lasted longer?

Charlie was one of the sweetest and best dogs I have ever known. Everyone who met him talked about what a good boy he was. Thank you Charlie, for bringing happiness into my life, even though it was for such a short time. I will always remember you and love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment